Turn Your Dog Into A Canine Good Citizen
Your Dog Can Be A Canine Good Citizen
What is a Canine Good Citizen test for dogs? It is a way to produce Canine Good Citizens, Responsible Owners and Well-Mannered Dogs. What’s not to love about that?
The CGC program is recognized as the gold standard for dog behavior. Dogs who pass the 10 step CGC test can earn a certificate and/or the official AKC CGC title while their owners are encouraged to live up to the Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge.
A Non-Competitive Test Open To All Dogs
The 10-step Canine Good Citizen test is a non-competitive test for all dogs, including purebreds and mixed breeds. The CGC award is a prerequisite for many therapy dog groups. Some homeowner’s insurance companies are encouraging CGC testing, and an increasing number of apartments and condos require that resident dogs pass the CGC test. The CGC Program also includes the AKC CGC Responsible Dog Owner Pledge.
The CGC Ten Step Test
- Accepting a friendly stranger – The dog allows someone to approach and speak to the handler in a natural way.
- Sitting Politely for Petting – The dog allows petting by a friendly stranger.
- Appearance and Grooming – The dog permits someone to touch ears , body & front feet, as a groomer or veterinarian would do.
- Out for a Walk – The dog walks on a loose lead with their owner.
- Walking Through a Crowd – The dog moves about politely in pedestrian traffic and is under control in public places.
- Sit and Down on Command and Staying in Place – The dog sits AND downs on command, then stays in place as directed.
- Coming When Called – The dog comes when called by the handler (from 10 feet on a leash).
- Reaction to Another Dog – The dog behaves politely around other dogs.
- Reaction to Distraction – The evaluator selects and presents two distractions such as dropping a chair, etc.
- Supervised Separation – This test demonstrates that a dog can be left with a trusted person, if necessary, maintaining training and good manners.
The Making Of A Canine Good Citizen
Every dog that comes to Fondren 5 Star Pet Resort is worthy of being a good citizen but sadly not all are able to pass the 10 point test the first go around. Adequate supervision, training, and practice are required (more for some dogs than others). Basic Obedience training is the place to start! Experienced trainers are waiting for your call so you can have a Canine Good Citizen of your own!